Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Highstreet Band Experience


The Highstreet Band was one of the performers on the first night of the 2010 Fourth of July festivities in my town. When I saw their name on the list, I wasn't too enthused, but I was going to to the towns square to watch the fireworks up close. After I heard their first song, I was very pleased to be emersed in their music.

The band is a colorful and eccentric show band, full of not only great musicians, but characters. They wear bright colored zuit suits, to match their colorful personalities. They also get the audience into their songs by walking off the stage and into the crowd, or by getting them to clap or sing along. I really thought it was neat when the saxophone player walked around the crowd during their performance of Zuit Suit Riot.

I also liked the fact that they sang songs from many different genres. Some bands like to stick to one because it's what they know best, but The Highstreet Band did well on every genre they played. They played songs from the 80's and the 90's, they sang country, rock and roll (sang Billie Jean by Michael Jackson), as well as many others. One of my favorite songs they performed was Crazy Love which was written and performed by Van Morrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment